Currently, only The Humane Society of Berks County is an open admission shelter and will accept any domestic animals. The Humane League of Lancaster County does not accept all animal surrenders, but you may contact us for an appointment. If you have found a stray animal, please click on our Animal Control/Strays link for more information.
If you wish to surrender your pet, you may do so seven days a week during normal business hours (10 am to 4:30 pm, T, W, Th, S & S; 10 am to 7:00 pm, M & F). You will be required to provide a photo ID and you must agree to and sign the HSBC’s Surrender Policy. All animals surrendered to HPA become the immediate property of the HPA and will not be returned. While every effort is made to find every animal a permanent adoptive home, that cannot be guaranteed. HPA offers many programs and services that may help you to keep your pet where it belongs- with you.
- To guarantee your pet the best chance of being adopted into a new home, we will ask you a series of detailed questions.
- Preliminary Dog Intake Questionnaire
- Preliminary Cat Intake Questionnaire
- There is no fee to surrender an animal at HSBC, but we suggest a donation of $25 at the time of drop off to help offset the cost of care for each animal.
- The Humane League of Lancaster is a managed intake shelter and accepts pets for surrender by appointment seven days a week. Please call us at (717) 393-6551 for more information.