Healthy Pets, Healthy Communities is a groundbreaking initiative created by Humane Pennsylvania to help animals and their families lead better, healthier, and happier lives together. Health and wellness- or lack thereof- are among the driving forces leading to the breakdown of the human/pet bond, potential shelter intake, and needless death. A healthy pet is a happy pet and a happy pet stays at home, where it belongs!
Healthy Pets, Healthy Communities provides ultra-low cost sterilization services for family pets, low and no cost sterilization services for feral and free roaming cats, free microchip identification services, pet food supports, emergency response and foster housing, and other critical, lifesaving services. Humane Pennsylvania provides over one million dollars worth of free and reduced services each year through this program to our communities and shelter animals. Learn more about services offered to you and your pet below and by referring to the Services pull down menu above!
Ultra-Low Cost Family Pet Sterilization Clinics
In addition to operating two nationally accredited public veterinary hospitals in Reading and Lancaster, Humane Pennsylvania provides ultra-low cost sterilization services (starting at $45! Pricing below.) at its Humane Society of Berks County clinic in Reading, PA. Save hundreds of dollars and get your pet the health care it needs! Clinics are offered twice a week on alternating days.
Scheduling is easy and quick! You can register in two ways:
1. Call 610-921-8387 and ask to schedule for a Healthy Pets, Healthy Communities Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic!*
*All clinics require advanced registration. Online option is only a reservation service and does not guarantee your registration until you have spoken with a Humane Pennsylvania staff member and complete a patient record provided. All services require payment at time of services, all costs will be determined and provided in advance by Humane Pennsylvania.
- Proof of living in Reading City limits gets an automatic $30 reduction, thanks to a generous grant from the Giorgi Family Foundation. Client to provide driver’s license or other proof of residency.
- If dog in heat, pregnant dog or cat, or cryptorchid – $50 will be added to service total.
- Currently, the Healthy Pets, Healthy Communities spay/neuter clinics are only offered in Berks County and are not offered in our Lancaster County facilities, however, clinics are open to all.
- Free and low cost feral cat sterilization clinics are also available through Humane Pennsylvania’s Feral Cat Solutions. Click to learn more. Healthy Pets, Healthy Communities clinics are not intended for feral cats.
Microchipping Identification Services
Lack of identification is a leading cause of shelter intake of strays and needless death in shelters. Identification can save your pet’s life and microchip identification is the best kind because it cannot be lost. Microchips are the size of a grain of rice, completely harmless, and are inserted below the skin by a simple injection. Humane Pennsylvania feels so strongly about this that we provide free microchips to all our veterinary practice clients, all the animals we adopt, and to all the animals using our low cost clinics. It costs us a little money (OK, a lot of money) but it saves lives. Ask any Humane Pennsylvania staff member how you can get your pet microchipped for free!
More Healthy Pets, Healthy Communities Programs Coming Soon!
In 2019 Humane Pennsylvania will be expanding its veterinary practices in Reading and Lancaster, expanding and renovating its shelter and community clinic in Reading, and expanding its ultra-low cost spay/neuter clinics to serve the Lancaster community. Under a recent $3.1 million Giorgi Family Foundation grant we will also be provided expanded community services in the Reading, Berks County region through 2022. Keep checking back for news or sign up for our electronic newsletter so you can keep up!