In This Section
Need To Give Up Your Pet?
Humane Pennsylvania understands that there are sometimes circumstances that may prevent you from being able to keep your pet. Humane Pennsylvania is here to help you find the right resources for you. Because Humane Pennsylvania can’t accept all animal surrenders, below are many options available to you.
First, consider using the free website Home to Home to find a new home for your pet yourself, rather than taking them to a shelter.
THINGS TO CONSIDER GIVING UP YOUR PET TO A SHELTER
- If you have found a stray animal, please click on our Animal Control/Strays link for more information.
- Don’t rush! Take time to find your furry, feathered, or scaly friend the best new home.
- Resources exist if your reason for giving up a pet is financial or medical.
- Increase your pet’s adoptability by having them spayed/neutered, groomed, and vaccinated.
- Tell your friends, family, coworkers, and social networks that your pet is looking for a new home. The more people who know you need help, the better your chances of finding your pet a new family.
- No one knows your pet better than you do! While interviewing potential adopters, be sure to share your expectations for your pet’s new home and be sure to ask questions to identify a home that will be a good fit for your pet.
- Create a listing for your pet on Home to Home or another web based animal adoption service. They specialize in connecting pets who need a good home with families looking to adopt.
- It is the responsibility of current owners to disclose any bite history to potential adopters. Rehoming platforms connect people looking to rehome their pets with interested adopters. The pets featured are not animals at Humane Pennsylvania and require direct communication with their caregivers through the platform itself.
- Please, never abandon your pet! Humane Pennsylvania is here if you need to bring your pet to a shelter. Call or email Humane PA for assistance.
Have questions about giving up a pet to Humane Pennsylvania? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 610-921-2348 for assistance. In most circumstances Humane Pennsylvania requires a pre-admission telephone appointment and a scheduled intake appointment at a Humane PA facility. DO NOT BRING YOUR PET TO ANY ANIMAL SHELTER WITHOUT SPEAKING TO A REPRESENTATIVE FIRST.
If you wish to surrender your pet to Humane Pennsylvania, you will be required to provide a photo ID, and you must agree to and sign a Surrender Policy. Please see the following contact information for our shelters:
If you choose to give up your pet to Humane Pennsylvania, please remember that we cannot guarantee to find your pet a permanent adoptive home. HPA offers many programs and services that may help you to keep your pet where it belongs- with you.
To give your pet the best chance of being adopted into a new home, we will ask you to complete the following web forms prior to scheduling an appointment:
- Berks – Cat Intake Questionnaire
- Berks – Dog Intake Questionnaire
- Berks – Small Mammals & Birds
- Lancaster – Cat Intake Questionnaire
- Lancaster – Dog Intake Questionnaire
- Lancaster – Small Mammals & Birds
Humane Pennsylvania is a non-profit, independent charity that is not supported by tax dollars or public funding. We rely on the donations of those who make use of our services to support us. We request a minimum donation of $25.00 to help to cover the cost of providing our services to you and your pet. This applies to all species, whether stray or surrender.